Monday, September 20, 2010

Bear Island

There is an organization at the academy that puts together activities for the staff and teachers here. The recently organized a trip to Bear Island to the north of Novosibirsk. Originally it was going to be me, Morgan, and the director (Marina Viktrovna). Well, I guess Marina never said she was going, I just assumed she was because she invited me and signed me up. Morgan had to back out because he has Aisic (no really sure what the acronym is of that organization) stuff to do. So, I went alone and found the mooring spot not too far from the university, about a thirty minute walk. Well, everyone was surprised on Monday that I found it on my own, but they did give an address. Well, as I understood it we would just bring our own food, take a boat ride up the river, walk around on the island for about half an hour then come back. The poster said there would be activities or "konkursy" games, etc. but I did not expect an all day affair!!!!! It was wonderful. On the ride north to the island this old man busts out traditional songs on his accordion, old women start dancing and singing. Ah it was so much fun. One old woman asked me to write something down for her, some numbers. She saw what I was writing and said give it here, you're writing in Arabic or something. Haha, I just wrte numbers differently than Russians. She was so funny.

This is a video of them singing and dancing.

On the trip there I sat with the very sweet and kind Galina Ivanovna, who was the only other person from the Foreign Languages Kafedra.

When we got to the island we broke into groups (foreign languages and law were together that day). We had our first concourse there, the table contest. Oh boy, Russians can decorate their tables:












More to come tomorrow about the crazy bear island

No comments:

Post a Comment